Good/Bad website smackdown

     


Google is a good representation a well- structured website that has become very successful.  Google not only provides a reputable search engine but has created other platforms such as Google Docs, Slides, Sheets, Forms and Meets.  It allows users to create an account that automatically saves all work and keeps everything organized.  Google favors quality content over well-established links and pages.  Google is good for users as it provides them with reliable and relevant results, it is also preferred by new bloggers and site owners because it gives them opportunity to build valuable links. 


 

    Yahoo is a good example of a poor website structure, because it has less platforms and extensions than other sites such as Google.  Yahoo still prefers old and well- established websites, which has been proven to be not as effective.  Over the years it has been reported that Yahoo has had website breaches that effect millions of account owners within the site.  They also have unreliable and slow technology within their search engines, that has helped lead to the downfall of the company.  It has been stated that a string off wrong decisions and missed opportunities has led to negative attention received by the site recently.



Comments

  1. Lauren I think your presentation was a good demonstration of how culture trends can change due to improvement. In this case it would be Google replacing Yahoo as it is much more useful. There are more links and services provided for free as to just having an email format. Google was always much more used anyway compared to Yahoo. At this point I have completely forgotten about Yahoo since it is not relevant anymore and I have no use for it. At some point I can see the site be shutdown or either bought by Google.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren! I enjoyed your presentation and overviews of both Google and Yahoo. I'm not sure I agree to the point of having less extensions makes Yahoo a worse platform. Example, while Google has many extensions of itself, there are many bugs, glitches, and indications of poor or dropped performance within those extensions from time to time and that's where I'm conflicted on the issue. I agree Yahoo's search functions have been poor and unreliable along with the backend webdev portion having severe stability issues. I wonder how Verizon's acquisition of Yahoo changed things within the company and if the negative decisions happened prior, during, or after the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren I thought your presentation was very good at showing the differences between Yahoo and Google and it really showed how Google is much better than Yahoo. I never knew that they had breaches on their website that could affect their customer's accounts. I am glad that I use Google instead of Yahoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lauren, I really like how you explain why they fall into either the "good" or "bad" category. The section on user experience was particularly interesting, as it notes the importance of a website being easy to navigate and visually appealing. As someone who frequently uses websites for research and other purposes, I also like how you explain what makes a website valuable and user-friendly as well as being better informed by information that is relevant rather than sites that are just "well-established"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lauren! I think you did a good job at giving background information on both websites and showing how yahoo and google are different. Yahoo is pretty slow and outdated in comparison to google. Google is definitely more reliable and relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren, great good/bad website ideas. These two very similar search engines are almost like Apple vs Android in my opinion. Personally, I use Google and do not like Yahoo due to its convenience. I totally agree with you that Yahoo has a poor website structure in comparison to Google. Yahoo is more old school and Google is the new and improved search engine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lauren! Learned a lot from your presentation on Google versus Yahoo. I was unaware of Yahoos decline for example I was unaware of website breaches and their slow technology. growing up I never understood why teachers preferred Google over Yahoo, since Yahoo seemed to be the most popular at the time. Now I understand, as you say that Google is well-structured and organized

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment